Motor Week (UK)/Series 2/Episode 13
The dawn of Richard Hammond's TV career.
|Series 2, Episode 12
|Series 2, Episode 14
|18th June, 1998
Series 2, Episode 13 of Motor Week aired on the 18th June, 1998. It was the thirteenth episode of Series 2 and the 38th episode overall. It was the 24th programme to air in 1998 out of a total 52. Series 2, Episode 13 was originally broadcast in 576i at a 4:3 Standard aspect ratio on British digital television channel Men & Motors. The episode was primarily presented by Richard Hammond, Chris Goffey, and Mike Rutherford, with a guest appearance from BTCC driver Chris Goodwin, who accompanied the team at Millbrook.
This episode marked Richard Hammond's first ever television appearance, later becoming Motor Week's main host until its discontinuation in early 2002 after nine series following Hammond's successful audition with the BBC to join its relaunched version of Top Gear later that year.
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
As narrated by Peter Baker:
- Chris Goffey at the big industry day where journalists can drive anything they want.
- Mike Rutherford takes on taxis.
- And we look forward to Land Rover's 50th anniversary.
- But first, Richard Hammond investigates the new Renault Clio.
Renault Clio[edit | edit source]
This particular installment of Motor Week opens up near a Northern Rock branch at Milton Keynes, where Richard Hammond, on his very first outing for any televised motoring journal, attempts to sell members of the general public on the Renault Clio. According to its manufacturers, the second generation of the Clio aims to present a more masculine image against its outgoing predecessor, as image is the most important factor when considering a supermini. He believes the redesigned Clio stands a fair chance in this sector, as much of its opposition are either aging or have been designed in a far-less conventional or "feminine" manner, and asks members of the public for their input before embarking on a test drive.
Soundtrack[edit | edit source]
▶️ Jon Can - Motor Week Theme Tune: Plays during the title and closing sequences.
2 songs featured remain unidentified. Both of these appear to be stock music likely also produced by Jon Can, owing to the low production values of the programme, and play during Richard Hammond's test drive of the Renault Clio and Chris Goffey's introduction at Millbrook.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In addition to a visible lens frame, which is a problem seen in several early episodes of Motor Week, Richard Hammond's film on the Renault Clio shows clear signs of camera damage, as the upper-right region of the screen is not synchronised with the rest of the footage.
References[edit | edit source]
- Richard Hammond had previously appeared during the BBC's 1993 Comic Relief marathon, but this was his first appearance in a motor journalism programme.
- Green, G. (1998) 'Renault's Clio Tries to Expand Its Horizons', The New York Times, 8th May.